⚠️UPDATE 2: GOVERNMENT STIMULUS PACKAGE⚠️
The government passed the $130 billion Jobkeeper Package last night, and although 6 million Australians will benefit, many in our industry won’t be eligible to receive the $1,500 per fortnight payment. However, you still may be eligible to receive the JobSeeker payment of up to $1,100 per fortnight. Below is a summary of both the JobSeeker and JobKeeper payments.
JobKeeper FAQs Business access to JobKeeper payments will begin on May 1 for 6 months.
- JobSeeker income additional support of $550 per fortnight for those who are unemployed (Total of up to $1,100 per fortnight). Asset testing will be waived but income testing still applies.
- Early release of superannuation payments up to $20,000.
- JobKeeper income support of $1,500 per fortnight for full-time employees, part-time employees, PAYG & long-term casual employees (casual employees who have been employed at least for one year at 1 March 2020, paid through only one primary eligible employer. The ATO can help determine the primary employer for casuals/PAYG employees.)
- Cashflow support for SMEs for up to $100,000.
- Increased instant Asset write-off from $30,000 to $150,000.
- Support for apprentices and trainees for up to $21,000 each.
- JobKeeper income support for $1,500 per fortnight for ABN Contractors/Sole Traders if they can show a drop in at least 30% from a comparable month last year.
- JobKeeper income support for $1,500 per employee per fortnight for businesses that can demonstrate a drop in at least 30% of an annual turnover of less than $1 billion or at least 50% for an annual turnover of more than $1 billion.
Those who are not be eligible:
- Employees/Casuals/Freelancers whose primary employer is not eligible.
- Casuals/Freelancers who have been employed less than 12 months at 1 March 2020 with their primary employer.
- Foreign workers who don’t hold a special category visa.
- Production companies / SPVs / Freelancers that don’t have or cannot demonstrate a drop in at least 30% for businesses with an annual turnover of less than $1 billion or at least 50% for businesses with an annual turnover of more than $1 billion.
What can you do instead?
- If you are ineligible for JobKeeper, you may be eligible for JobSeeker
- State & Federal agencies are offering new and continued project, individual and business support. Check the Screen Australia and your local State Agency websites.
- If you are a documentary filmmaker, $250,000 is available through the Field of Vision Documentary Freelancer Relief fund
- Ineligible companies may be able to offer support during this time. Consult with your primary employer.
- Companies can discuss with their relevant bank for extra support or relief.
If you are a director who is not eligible for payments and have been treated unfairly during this time, please contact the ADG email@example.com